Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
How close together can I plant tulip bulbs?
In almost all of the directions I've seen for planting tulip bulbs, we're told to plant them 5"-6" apart -- followed by the phrase "or ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> Q-T -> Tulipa
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TulipManiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: How close together can I plant tulip bulbs? Reply with quote

In almost all of the directions I've seen for planting tulip bulbs, we're told to plant them 5"-6" apart -- followed by the phrase "or closer for a lush look."

Well, HOW close together can I get away with planting them?
The instructions never say.

I presume they shouldn't be touching each other, and I don't want them to crowd each other out, but I have a little plot (5'x10') in the big city (Queens in NYC) and I'd like to get as much in there as possible.

Two notes:

1) I'm talking about varietal tulips - mostly single early and late, Triumph, Darwin Hybrid and historical varieties, not species tulips (which have smaller bulbs, I know).

2) I don't need to worry about leaving them room to spread for future years: I dig them up after the leaves yellow and save or give away the bulbs.

Thanks,
TuMan
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear TM:

This is just my personal opinion, but, since you are digging the tulips, your spacing is not all that important, except that it reflect the concentration you wish to view. Since the plant, itself needs more room to grow than the space would be taken by the bulb itself, I would think 4" apart would be fine. In some locations, you could try them touching together if you think along the lines of groupings, meaning groups might have 6-8 inches between them.

The more bulbs in a space, the higher the water needs. I also would not fertilize according to how many bulbs in tight spacings, but strictly by label directions for square footage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> Q-T -> Tulipa All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: