Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Status report...
Muscari armeniacum are in full bloom with their rich blue spikes. M. macrocarpum are very fragrant and in full bloom but suffered freeze...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> M-P -> Muscari
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Muscari armeniacum are in full bloom with their rich blue spikes. M. macrocarpum are very fragrant and in full bloom but suffered freeze damage this year. Although not as spectacular, they are a beautiful yellow, and the fragrance is divine.

Last edited by kmirvin on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

M. armeniacum, M. azureum, and M. azureum 'Album' are finishing bloom now. M. macrocarpum finished up a week or so ago. I find the muscaris to be valuable staples to the garden and landscape and intend to have a greater selection available in the future.
hennessy

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

On my allotment most Muscaris are still flowering, only the azureum types are really gone. M. comosum and the likes are still to come but the rest is still attracting bees. M. armeniacum and cultivars are brilliant (Cantab is good!) M. neglectum is fresh, M. pallens is coming. I still enjoy my Muscaris and I probably will until the end of May when the last one, M. dionysicum, finishes. Till then,
Martin Philippo, http://muscaripages.tiscaliweb.nl
hennessy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Muscari dionysicum isn't out yet, they are a bit slow at the moment. M. comosum is doing well, still flowering. Boy, do they last long. The ones that are finished are now setting seed nicely, I hope the seeds won't fall during our holidays. It happened to me before, another time I waited for the weekend to gather the seeds, we got a gigantic thunderstorm with heavy rain and most of my seeds were on the ground! Shame. If this weather keeps up I'll be able to pick some before we go. After that it will be lifting time. Anticipation: will they have grown much? Till then,
martin philippo, http://muscaripages.tiscaliweb.nl
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Except for a few 'Valerie Finnis', my Muscari armeniacum and M. azureum finished long ago. I've already collected seed on the M. azureum and M. azureum 'album'. The M. armeniacum are just about to pop, but I don't think I will collect the seed.

Thanks for the update Martin. I hope folks take the time to visit your website and see the different kinds of Muscari.
hennessy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

I started lifting my bulbs now. Things are looking great so far. Taken out are M. botryoides and M. botryoides Album, both well grown. M. latifolium did well for me also. Also Bellevalias were lifted and I think they were all right too. The season has been good here, very few hot days but still a lot of sun and the occasional rain. Excellent growing conditions. Of most Muscaris foliage is still green, sign of growth. In a few weeks I will have them all out, we'll let you know.
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Hello, Martin. I lifted some Muscari armeniacum two days ago. Still have a little bit to go. So many bulblets for replanting!
hennessy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Today I lifted the last of my Muscaris. Finally! Most bulbs are now in storage, in a temperature controlled room with lots of ventilation and air circulation. They are in their dormant season now and by keeping them dry and warm I copy their natural habitat, like sun baked hillsides without rainfall during summer. If you do this at home: let enough fresh air in so the bulbs won't get moist as they are much more likely to develop fungal diseases. Keep them f.i. in a open paper bag or better, a little net like the ones they use for oranges. I plan to plant my Muscaris next November, here in Holland winters don't come early and are not really cold. This also prevents leave development in fall.
The little bulblets are great! When planted in a sunny spot in fertile soil, they will grow into lovely, healthy bulbs which will give many flowers. For planting, pick out the best looking bulbs with the smallest 'bottom' Sometimes the base of a bulb is corky and big, this indicates that the bulb is already older and hasn't grown that much. They are not the best for planting. Select the ones that have grown most to keep a healthy stock. Also throw away any bulbs that are covered with green fungus to keep your stock healthy.
hennessy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Last Saturday I planted the first bulbs again. Muscari parviflorum and Muscari aucheri Autumn Glory went in because these are autumn flowering and when they are planted too late they won't flower at all. The soil was still a bit wet because of the rain but I trust the water will drain away. it was nice weather this week anyway. I will wait with the other bulbs untill October so the leaves won't emerge before the winter.
hennessy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

All my bulbs are planted now, only waiting for their winter cover of straw. I think I planted about 5500 bulbs, a lot of work but I like it.
I will go dormant myself now, having to wait for spring until they all appear again.
In the meantime I can work on my website, in a nice and warm house.
In early spring I hope to have some pots for the window sill that I planted last week. I will get them in from February onwards so my springtime will be prolonged.
Martin Philippo http://muscaripages.tiscaliweb.nl
xanadu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

I have one M. pallens that has been in bloom for over a week. None of the other pallens even show tips of blooms. The M. azureum is just starting to bloom, with three or four showing buds. This is an atypical year, unseasonably warm weather all winter with the first real freezes occuring this week.
hennessy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

in my garden the foliage is coming out but certainly no flowers yet. Winter hasn't been cold, a few good spells of frost but not too heavy. It is only february, I don't expect the first flowers (M. azureum and cvs) untill March 23d. Today i did take the cover of straw off, hopefully there will be no winter anymore.
The Muscaripages are from now accessible through:

www.muscaripages.nl
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

Kathy: It must be great getting to see Muscari in bloom already. I'm keeping an eye on my M. macrocarpum, because it bloomed early for me last year. What is your zone?

Martin: It's great to have access to a page such as yours; very helpful and informative. I eagerly look forward to 'Rimshot' hitting the market.
xanadu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Status report... Reply with quote

zone 8/9 M. azureum flower stalks up about 3/4 inch. I did not realize this type has multiple flower heads. This is my first year growing them. Scilla peruviana flower head also just visible.
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Gallery Significantly Updated! Reply with quote

The Bulbmeister.COM Image Gallery has been significantly updated. Besides having many more images than previously, the gallery has search capabilities, images may be rated, and you can send your friends a simple e-card. Please visit:

The Image Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> M-P -> Muscari All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: