Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Combatting very cold temperatures...
Most of my hardier Lycoris have started sending up foliage through the month of February. We have had unseasonably mild weather, so I have L...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Combatting very cold temperatures... Reply with quote

Most of my hardier Lycoris have started sending up foliage through the month of February. We have had unseasonably mild weather, so I have Lycoris longituba, for example, with foliage already 8 inches in length.

A strong polar front is blasting its way down here to Arkansas through to the South and then going East. We are expected to reach temperatures below 10°F by tomorrow night with temperatures during the day being barely above or even below freezing. I would not be so concerned, except for the exceptional growth in my Lycoris stands, and even early growth from species tulips and Muscari.

I have laid Remay™ over the Lycoris beds and am hoping for a little snow cover on top of that. Any comments?
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Combatting very cold temperatures... Reply with quote

Some damage did occur throghout the range of species I am growing in the nursery. For the most part, I am happy to say that only foliar tip damage has occurred in hardy bulb species that have put up foliage. The Muscari armeniacum and M. ambrosiacum had already started pushing floral buds in some cases, and these succumbed to the freeze. Thankfully, plenty are left to bring spectacular bloom barring any further interference from nature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: