Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Status of my Rain Lilies
I have a number of rain lilies in bloom in pots in the greenhouse. My favorite scented one is Habranthus tubispathus var. i{texanus}, a.k.a. T...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> E-H -> Habranthus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 9:52 pm    Post subject: Status of my Rain Lilies Reply with quote

I have a number of rain lilies in bloom in pots in the greenhouse. My favorite scented one is Habranthus tubispathus var. i{texanus}, a.k.a. Texas Copper Lily. I also like the scent from my Zephyranthes drummondii. In the ground I have 4 species of Zephyranthes in full foliage, but I protect them through the winter under a structure with supplemental heat. In other words, I got a head start on the growing season. I can't wait to see them bloom en masse. My hardiness zone is 6b.
nestor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 8:46 pm    Post subject: Status of my Rain Lilies Reply with quote

I grow 4 types of rain lily: white, white-pink, yellow and pink. The white grow locally here in northeast Florida. They prefer wet areas like drainage ditches. They start to bloom sometimes even in late March and continue on through May with occasional blooms later in the year. The bloom can get quite large, maybe 3". Some blooms really open up wide, others are more cup shaped. The sepals are more narrow. It appears that multiple blooms can come from a larger bulb. My soil is quite sandy, so I have lost hundreds of bulbs collected in the wild. When they widen the roads, they get buried under the pavement, so sometime I try to "rescue" some of them. These easily form seeds and are quite easy to start from seed. Offsets form easily. The foliage is very narrow almost like chives.
My white-pink came from a neighbors back yard. They might be a naturally occurring type, but I cannot be positive. They just start blooming in May and go strong for about one month. They seldom bloom later. The sepals are much wider than the white and have a blush of pink. Blooms are more cup shaped and are about 2". The outside of the bud is very pink before it opens. The foliage is much broader, up to 1/2". This lily forms offsets like crazy, often several dozen small bulblets. It also seeds easily and will spread quickly.
My yellow were purchased from a catalog. They do not multiply much at all, and I do not recall seeing any seeds. The flower is small, maybe 1-1/2". They have been coming back every year for about 4 years since I bought them.
My dark pink are similar to the yellow regarding bulb multiplication and seeds. The flower is probably 1-1/2"-2". I have pictures of the bulbs and would be interested in a more positive identification. Nestor White
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:08 am    Post subject: Status of my Rain Lilies Reply with quote

Nestor:

Did you know that you can post images to this forum? Just read the simple instructions about how to do this after clicking the "Formatting" link under "Documentation" in the side bar...
mjw1955

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Status of my Rain Lilies Reply with quote

I rescued 6-8 large clumps of Z. citrina from a ditch the other day. I have about 250 bulbs. Please post if you would like some of these and I will mail them to you. The bulbs were about to be crushed as they are widening the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> E-H -> Habranthus All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: