Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Clivia with sunburn
Hi there,
Here in Holland we have to keep our Clivia plants indoors, the weather is too cold. I tried to put out a pot of Clivia miniata the othe...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hennessy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Clivia with sunburn Reply with quote

Hi there,
Here in Holland we have to keep our Clivia plants indoors, the weather is too cold. I tried to put out a pot of Clivia miniata the other day. Of course it went wrong and now the leaves show yellow tips, most likely to be sunburn form the UV light. Any suggestions how to deal with this?
Thanks in advance, Martin Philippo
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Clivia with sunburn Reply with quote

Martin:

Clivia are shade loving plants, inclined to get sunburned on the surfaces most directly exposed to sunlight. I put several of my potted C. miniata outdoors in early April. So far, I have not seen burn, or much anyway. I believe they are getting sun most of the day. The tips are slightly faded, but I couldn't say whether it is sunlight or nutritional.

I know these comments don't provide you an answer, but it lets me lead into some exciting and brand new information. A new species, Clivia mirabilis, has been discovered in an unusual area of South Africa. Unlike all other Clivia, it lives in a winter rainfall environment and is exposed to full sunshine. An informational link exists at, http://www.nbi.ac.za/frames/whatsnewcurfram.htm, if anybody would like to learn more about it.
honeybunny442

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Clivia with sunburn Reply with quote

Hi,
I have burned Clivia too- I took mine from inside, under lights to outside, under a small plastic greenhouse. More of the leaf got burned than just the tips, though. It took about 2 years for the plant to grow out of it.
Gaby

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information. Can't wait to ge my hands on that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: