Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
In bloom...
Back in the Fall and winter, I auctioned off four different species of Zephyranthes. One of these was Z. carinata, more correctly identified a...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> E-H -> Habranthus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:18 am    Post subject: In bloom... Reply with quote

Back in the Fall and winter, I auctioned off four different species of Zephyranthes. One of these was Z. carinata, more correctly identified as Z. grandiflora. Over the past weekend it started it's first flush of bloom for the season with beautiful rosey pink blooms having bright yellow/orange anthers. This group does not set seed, as a rule, but can be used as a pollen parent.
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 7:41 am    Post subject: In bloom... Reply with quote

My Zephyranthes grandiflora has been in full bloom in the garden for the past two weeks. Z. citrina is just now coming into full bloom. Absolutely spectacular!

Also, I have a number of rain lily species in pots which I quit watering entirely four weeks ago. I brought them out of the greenhouse and they got a good rain several days ago. Three days ago they all sent up a spray of blooms. WOW!!! I hope to have some pictures for display very soon.

I am in zone 6b.
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 4:49 pm    Post subject: In bloom... Reply with quote

Z. citrina, Z. candida, and Z. rosea have been putting on quite a show since our saturating rain of last week. Most of my potted Zephyranthes and Habranthus also put on another display. Z. grandiflora has only bloomed a few this time and must be tired out for the season.
nestor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: In bloom... Reply with quote

During this past year, I have acquired about 30 different species/varieties of zephyranthes and habranthus. Because most of them readily seed, I have been growing most of them in pots. Some need sun, some partial shade. Some do better in very wet conditions and others like it more dry. I have two varieties blooming now in March and others will bloom all of the way into Fall. Many will rebloom periodically.
Habranthus robustus, one of the most vigorous, readily forms offsets and seeds and will "naturalize" a large area in just a few years. It is white with a blush of pink and has blooms up to 3" in diameter. I also have Z. citrina,(yellow) grandiflora (light pink), atamasco (white, and a couple of other types in the ground (some are available for sale).
Last August I spent about 5 hours visiting Yucca Do Nursery (yuccado.com) near Houston, TX. They have the largest selection that I know of, but they can be pricey (sometimes several dollars per bulb).
The basic difference between Zephyranthes and Habranthus is that Z. flowers point straight up and H. are cocked at a slight angle. If you live in warmer climes and do not grow these, you are missing a real treat. They require almost no effort- plant and forget!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> E-H -> Habranthus All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: