Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Cemetery bulbs
What bulbs would work work well in a zone 5 cemetery? Long lasting, perhaps self-sowing? I'm drafting a gardening brochure for our township ceme...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Cemetery bulbs Reply with quote

What bulbs would work work well in a zone 5 cemetery? Long lasting, perhaps self-sowing? I'm drafting a gardening brochure for our township cemetery. Soil is mostly 'sugar sand', some few areas good topsoil. Some heavy shade, some sunny. "The Other Coast" -- halfway up the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
tonyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Cemetery bulbs Reply with quote

I hope I'm doing this right. This is my first reply.=20

Dafadills would be my number one choice. Ther are so many new, as well = as older proven sizes & colors to choose from. They grow in full sun, or = full shade, in just about any type of soil, and in almost any = enviroment. They multiply like crazy, and once they get established, you = almost can't kill them. By the time the grass needs mowing, they're = finished displaying their color.=20

If it ain't broke, Don't fix it

Happy Gardening

kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Cemetery bulbs Reply with quote

Beth,

I'm very biased, but I have to recommend members of the genus Lycoris. In zone 5, you would be looking for Lycoris squamigera, L. sprengeri, L. longituba, or L. chinensis for commonly available types. L. sanguinea is another option, but it is not very large and really needs summer shade in my opinion. All of these will put up foliage starting late February or early march. Foliage will persist through June, at which time it will appear to die away. Beginning late July, flower stalks will form and last several days to two weeks depending on sun/heat intensity.

Besides their beauty and unusual flower time, they will persist for many years to come, making beautiful clumps as time progresses. It usually take them at least a full season to reestablish after transplanting, and redigging every 7-10 years is recommended to encourage continued blooming.

For spring blooms, I would suggest Crocus and Narcissus. Crocus may or may not persist dependent on rodent population. Nothing will bother the Narcissus or the Lycoris.
bethe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Cemetery bulbs Reply with quote

I'd already considered the Lycoris, but I'd read the article included in your website through another search, and was put off by the recommendation that the bulbs need to be lifted and replanted every 7 years. However, I don't know how long daffodils can be expected to last. I've included tete-a-tete daffs, autumn crocus, crocosmia "Lucifer", crocus tommasinianus (squirrels don't like and it self-sows), siberian squill, the smaller alliums, snowdrops (also self-sows), and winter aconite. These are suggestions only, and partly chosen to help people think "outside the box". My brochure is still very much in the draft stage. Talk to me :-) about Lycoris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: