Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Fall bulb observations...
This is just a short report on some findings I have concerning a few of the fall bulbs I have dug up this summer in zone 6b.

Narcissus...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Fall bulb observations... Reply with quote

This is just a short report on some findings I have concerning a few of the fall bulbs I have dug up this summer in zone 6b.

Narcissus - I dug these in July, because somebody needed them for wedding favors. Overall, they seemed to be doing pretty well with some increase (miniatures).

Tulipa (species) - I am very pleased to see the increase in bulb quantity from my species tulips. I believe they are an excellent alternative to hybrid tulips being much more promising for persisting in the garden landscape.

Fritillaria - This is a mixed report. The small "frits" seem to hold their own or even significantly increase. F. persica did very well in the large frit category, doubling in population. F. imperialis, on the other hand, was a complete failure. I did not treat them special, though. They really need to be in a well-drained location, probably very sandy. My nursery does not "hold" water, but it is a loam - clay/loam in which residual moisture can remain. I will probably try again with whatever might be left over from sales, but in a special bed.

Allium - Of course, these did very well health wise. A. sphaerocephalon increased. A. schubertii provided the exact same amount (no increase), but all healthy and ready for another season.

Crocus - Hybrids did very well replacing one corm with between 1-3. Fall crocus seemed to hold their own. Winter crocus did not do well, but this is a bad example. They were planted way too late.

Muscari - Lots of bulblets were formed, but I imagine the benefit (in bloom) would take a couple of years to express itself.

Galanthus - No increase to speak of. These really need to be planted and left alone to establish. Also, I fertilized according to standard procedure, and they don't like fertilization too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> General Cultural Practices All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: