Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Zantedeschia aethiopica advice wanted
Greetings - please bear with me as I am VERY new to bulbs - some previous experience with Cannas, glads, dahlias etc. but only treating them as annual...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> A-D -> Calla
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sulla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Zantedeschia aethiopica advice wanted Reply with quote

Greetings - please bear with me as I am VERY new to bulbs - some previous experience with Cannas, glads, dahlias etc. but only treating them as annuals.

A few years ago I moved from the midwest to NC - zone 7b - 8a. Last spring I tried some of the large common callas. I knew they were tender and had heard they don't really have a true dormancy period, so I planted them in 12" pots in normal potting mix with a bunch of peat added, so I could bring them in before frost. I kept them on a sunny patio w/regular water and liquid fertilizer at 1/3 to 1/2 strength about every 2 wks. They never really grew well, only got about 18" tall and occasionally some of the foliage would just die off.

When November frost threatened they still had some signs of life, so I decided to try to overwinter them indoors with a little water and no fertilizer. Well, they started to take off like rockets and now they're almost 4 feet tall, with thick strong stems, beautiful glossy foliage and new growth coming out all the time.

What should I do now? I haven't used fertilizer since they've been indoors, and they've been kept pretty dry ... even though I normally follow the adage "fertilize during periods of active growth/blooming" with my perennials & houseplants. These bulbs seem to have their seasons backwards; or more likely, I'm going about their care all wrong?

Should I maybe treat them as houseplants year round, or do I dare try them on the patio again? Would I have better luck putting them in the ground in spring, and potting them up to overwinter inside? Do they have a normal, predictable growth and bloom cycle? Any tips, advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Dawn Larsen
honeybunny442

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Zantedeschia aethiopica advice wanted Reply with quote

Hi Dawn, I am not an expert on Zantedeschia but I do know the Z. aethiopica is a cool weather grower/flowerer, unlike the colored Zantedeschia. They are awesome when they get big, aren't they? Keep watering, and try to keep in a slightly cooler place (although light). Hopefully Kelly will chime in here, but I _think_ they like it 70F or cooler to flower. Good luck! Susan PS. then they get dormant in the summer, which is why yours looked so bad and had dead leaves.
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Zantedeschia aethiopica advice wanted Reply with quote

I must confess, what I know concerning Z. aethiopica is what I've read and heard from others. My short experience with it is for it to begin growth in the fall. Seems to like water more than other Callas and grows better in the cool season. I have read that this particular calla can be treated like an evergreen, but I believe it would still need to receive less water during the summer. I'm not sure though, and I would not know if this affects flowering or not. If anyone has some more specific experience with this particular calla lily, your comments would be appreciated. Dawn, do you think this is the type of call you have? Leaves are usually nice and broad and the plant can grow quite large. The species form is white spathed, but selections exist with pink ('Pink Mist'), green ('Green Goddess'), and who knows what other colors.
sulla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Zantedeschia aethiopica advice wanted Reply with quote

Yes, Susan and Kelly, I think you are both right on target ... and my Z. aethoipica are showing their true growth habit, of which I was obviously ignorant! I believe the bulbs I ordered are the original species, and not a selection. Leaves are roughly 5" wide X 10 - 12" long and a solid glossy medium to dark green. They are outshining all of my other houseplants right now.

I've decided to increase water & start feeding. If they bloom, I'll try to post pictures.

I've had a hard time finding information about these guys - THANKS for your helpful responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> A-D -> Calla All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: