Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Status
zone 8/9 Sorry about the double post on anemones. I found a flower spike on bletilla striata that is already three inches long. I have not looked c...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> A-D -> Bletilla
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanadu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

zone 8/9 Sorry about the double post on anemones. I found a flower spike on bletilla striata that is already three inches long. I have not looked closely at them since this seems very early, especially since another variety in the same area has not even sprouted. The genetics on the second variety were unspecified but it is yellowish in color and is probably one of the other species. It flowered much later than B. striata last year as well, though I thought that was due to the fact that I had just acquired it and it's season was off.
dbarron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

Zone 7a. My bletillia striata look especially strong this year (guess that means last year's conditions were good) and are just emerging (we're about 2 weeks from last frost date).
nestor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

My B. striata are just starting to bloom here in zone 8B-9. Late last fall I dug about 100 bulbs from under a tree I was removing and put them individually in 1 gallon pots. Over 90 percent of them have sent up leaves already and several are in bloom.
I have found they do MUCH better in at least partial shade, and, of course, they like rich soil. The bulbs are like rizomes and grow readily, forming multiple growth "eyes" where the leaves emerge. I have these available for trade or sale, and would be especially interested in trading some for the white variety.
Keven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Status Reply with quote

Nestor D. White wrote:
My B. striata are just starting to bloom here in zone 8B-9. Late last fall I claimed my bingo bonuses here and dug about 100 bulbs from under a tree I was removing and put them individually in 1 gallon pots. Over 90 percent of them have sent up leaves and several are in bloom.
I have found they do MUCH better in at least partial shade, and, of course, they like rich soil. The bulbs are like rizomes and grow readily, forming multiple growth "eyes" where the leaves emerge. I have these available for trade or sale, and would be especially interested in trading some for the white variety.

Do you have any pictures?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> A-D -> Bletilla All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: