Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions
A place to share ideas in flower bulb gardening!
Menu
Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
SmartFeedSmartFeed
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
BLOG
BUY BULBS
AUCTION
IMAGE GALLERY
HOME PAGE

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Aphids on Fritillary
I had minor trouble with aphids attacking the growing tips on some of my Fritillaria imperialis this season. The only place I really suffered f...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> Disease and Insect Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmirvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Aphids on Fritillary Reply with quote

I had minor trouble with aphids attacking the growing tips on some of my Fritillaria imperialis this season. The only place I really suffered for it was with my one bulb of F. imperialis 'Inodora', an odor free variety.

I did not do anything about it this season (yet). If I do anything about it, I will use a product with Neem Oil in it. You need to provide full coverage to the plant (upper and under leaves, etc.), but this is also a good product for fungus control (powdery mildew, black spot, etc.).
hennessy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Aphids on Fritillary Reply with quote

Fritillarias are not prone to insect disease really. The one one thing to look out for is that fiery red Lily beetle. Not only will the beetles nibble on the leaves (not a real pain) but they will lay eggs that turn into awful slimey larvae that will eat most of your precious Fritillarias. To make things worse those larvae will become beetles that will attack your lily plants this summer the same way. Best thing to do is to catch the beetles by hand. Hold your hand under the beetle, shake the plant a bit and the beetle will let itself fall down. Catch them in your hand (they won't bite) and just crush them with your nails or with your feet. Once the eggs are hatched and the larvae are actually there, there is no chemical that can kill them, the slime they are covered with will protect them. So be one step ahead.
Martin Philippo, Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands
Gaby

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had some problem with snails and couldn't get rid of them. Of course we didn't want to use any chemicals so we approached a local florist and asked him for some advice. He came up with the suggestion to stomp some egg shells and put them around the flowers and the snails wouldn't make it and he was right. I just wanted to share that information because it really helped us. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bulbmeister.COM - Discussions Forum Index -> Disease and Insect Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: